About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Project 7332: the 2012 Bay Area Maker Faire

The verdict is in and I will be returning to the Bay Area Maker Faire again this year. 

My display last year was well received.  I was awarded not one, but two Editor's Choice ribbons:
Maker Faire Editors Choice
Since I've still got more grenades that need ribbons, this year I feel compelled to make things bigger and better.  I don't want to become known as "the Halo guy," so I'll be deploying more assorted characters than just the Halo costumes I brought last year.  Some of them will be bigger.

Much bigger.

In addition to having my costume and prop display where I'll be on hand to answer questions and describe the build processes, I'm also going to have a couple of folks at a separate booth selling some of my Combat Garden Gnomes.  Gearing up for that is becoming quite the project:
Gnome Battalion in Progress

If you're looking to see an event that blends the best parts of a science fair, an art festival, and some serious show-and-tell, make sure you head out to the San Mateo Event Center on the weekend of May 19th and 20th.  You can get advance tickets here: http://makerfairebayarea.eventbrite.com/


Now I just have to dust off the display booth, make some much-needed upgrades, finish building a few more suits, paint up some more props, and figure out all the logistics involved in getting everything on station.

The countdown on the website tells me I've got only 25 more days to get ready, so expect updates to get more and more sporadic (and possibly a bit loopy) as my deadline approaches and I start running really low on sleep.

2 comments:

  1. is that the rocketeer rocket on the shelf under the grenades?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is. That's a work-in-progress, just without the progress.

    ReplyDelete