About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Visiting Yokosuka and it's Business as Usual

So at long last I've finally had a chance to roll ashore and visit lovely downtown Yokosuka, Japan.

Here's a view of the port from a nearby Starbucks:
Yokosuka Port

Walking around downtown, the locals don't look especially concerned about radiation exposure or fallout:
Downtown Yokosuka

These girls are absolutely not worried about exposure:
Japanese legs

Since I had a bit of time off, I ended up hanging out with my friend Rich and his family:
Me and Rich

As long as I was wandering around, I had to check out the latest and greatest high tech toilet seats:
Hi-tech Toilet Seats

Rich's son Ricky checked them out too:
Toilet Seat Ricky

There was also a Spring sale going on in the pet store section of "Homes" which is something like a Japanese WalMart:
Spling Sall
Excuse me, it was a "Spling Sall."

This is why the pets were all so inexpensive. Like this puppy:
Pricey Puppy 2
The current exchange rate is 85 yen to one US dollar, so this dog costs $1882.32.  He's cute, but damn!

Here's a kitten for $1760 US dollars:
Expensive Cat is Expensive
To think there's people in the states who give these things away for free!

Finally,. here's a $5500 bulldog:
Pricey Puppy

Given the ridiculous high prices for cats and dogs, I had to check out the smaller, cuddly animal section:
Cute and Furry Little Animals

On the left were pet chipmunks or the like:
Pet Chimpunk

In the cage on the right was a pet bat for sale.  He was preening himself:
Pet Bat preening

I wasn't quite sure he was male until he paused long enough to look at me:
Pet Bat

The longer he looked the longer he got, so I left before he tried to molest me in some way:
Boy Bat

At some point while we were out, I also snapped this picture of a plurple heffalump escaping from a nearby building:
Heffalump

So yeah. It's pretty much business as usual here in Yokosuka.

Stay tuned. I've got ten more days here and with the daily aftershocks you never know what's next...

1 comment:

  1. We'll all be happy to see you when you get home, Shawn, but this bat was CLEARLY extremely happy that you visited him there in Japan! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete