About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

On Your Bookshelf, Evil Cthulhu Waits Thinking

While I was home back in December/January, I decided I needed to make some little bookend statues. I finished the sculpt and the molds, but it wasn't until I got back to the workshop the other day that I finally managed to make castings.
I call him "the Cthinker." The French would call him "Le Méchant Penseur."

cthinker 4 cthinker 3
For those of you who've never heard of him, Cthulhu is one of the "Great Old Ones," fictional cosmic entities created by science fiction and horror author H. P. Lovecraft in 1926. The first appearance of Cthulhu was in the short story "The Call of Cthulhu" published in 1928. He is often cited for the extreme descriptions given of his hideous appearance, gargantuan size, and the abject terror that he evokes. Cthulhu is often referred to in science fiction and fantasy circles as a tongue-in-cheek shorthand for extreme evil.
This rendering stands approximately 8" tall. I'm casting them in urethane resin with a cold cast bronze finish, but I'm thinking I'd be just as well off painting it bronze with a bit of faux patina.

cthinker 2 cthinker

These pictures are of the first casting out of the mold. The rest of the castings will have a more even coloring.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

I've got these statues listed in my Etsy shop. Order one and he'll sit on your shelf, thinking evil thoughts. Order two and use them as bookends for your Necronomicon.

No comments:

Post a Comment